Thursday, December 18, 2008

Poor Kitty

Well i have a sad story and anyone who is a cat lover will find this rather upsetting so beware. We have a little black kitty that has adopted us. And it is even very friendly which is rather unusual for the cats that come around. Me not being a cat lover kinda got attached to this little kitty. Well Ryan went out this morning to get his pickup to go to town and to take Emalee to preschool. And when he came back into the house to get Ema he told me that he didn't think that the kitty was going to make it through the day! I was a little shock and said WHY? So hold your GASP!!! He found the kitty frozen by the tail hanging upside down on the fence by the cows water trough. At first he thought that it was dead, but then it meowed and he couldn't believe it. He thinks that it must have been trying to get a drink and got it's tail wet and foot. It was so cold last night that it probably froze it to the fence,(which is metal). So I asked him what he did with it and he said that he had to brake it's tail off to get it off the fence. Then he put it in the hay stack. So i asked him to bring it in so i could see how bad it was. It was bad. It's tail looked really funny and its foot had frost bite. At this point i didn't know what to do with it. So i put a old towel in a box and covered it up to get it to warm up. As soon as i did that it just started to purrrrr. Later in the day she finally got out of the box and that is when i could see how bad she really was. I knew for sure that at least all but one of her feet frost bitten and her tail and one of her ears. Ryan at that point told me that she needed to be put down. Ok I know that it is just a cat, but i started to cry and of course that makes Ryan tear up and so he asked me what i wanted to do? So after i regained my composure i told him that i would call the vet and see how much it would cost to fix her one leg. The leg was mangled looking and oozing.Growdy. So the vet told me about $150-$200.00. That was one place so i called another just out of curiosity, I was SHOCKED $450-$500.00. Ryan said NO WAY. So we agreed so that i could have a guilt free concunts he would take it to the vet and if the vet said that she was suffering then at least i could say that we tried. Ryan left the kitty there and the vet called me and told me that all but one little toe was frozen, so basically all of her extremities had severe frost bit. So i guess you know what had to be done. Emalee was asking were the kitty was and of course Dallin being so sensitive says "IT DIED EMA". She looked at me and no it didn't huh mom. So i told her that it went to heaven. She said WHY? So i told her that Heavenly Father needed another good kitty. And that seemed to have been ok because she said to me, next time we will have to have two nice kitties huh mom. She is so sweet. Kinda sad but i guess it is better than to let it suffer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you guys were such cat lovers! Maybe Em needs a new kitty for Christmas.

*. Th3 BoW3n FamiLy.* said...

Oh Valerie that is so sad I'm so sorry about your poor little kitty! It made meee tear up! That is the sadest thing I have heard for a while!! but like you told sweet Ema, it went to Heaven. she is such a doll and so innocent... Hopefully no more cats get frozen to your fence.

Hannah said...

That poor little kittie! What a sad story. I'm glad that it's not suffering anymore.

Robinson Roost said...

I didn't hear the outcome of the kitty. I'm sorry. I a day or two, the vet will send a sympathy card. We got one once. I am sure you did the right thing.:(

Annie Allen said...

That is why I don't have pets... I am way too soft and I can never get the picture of them out of my head. I know- I am demented!